Thursday, February 25, 2010

My attempt at smokey eyes

I do believe this is the first picture (of my own) I've posted here, though I've linked to some in the past that are on my other blog. This is my makeup for my Valentine's Day Date. I have on what I thought was a lot of eyeshadow, but it doesn't look that way here. Perhaps if you could actually see my eyelids...
that must be what convinced my pediatrician to repeatedly ask my mother if either of my grandmothers was a Japanese WWII bride. Mentioning that makes me think that maybe I should seek out tutorials for eye makeup aimed at Asian women.
Even though I ended up using youtube when I was looking for some guidance on the ballet stage makeup required for my 15 year old's debut in the Nutcracker...

Wait, I forgot she was only 5

and has her own opinion on makeup application.

... it didn't occur to me to search youtube for makeup guidance for myself. Tweeter @tisworthwhile introduced me to the idea so I watched a few the other morning watching. Which is what convinced me it's the shape of my eyelid that's the problem. Oh well, I'm fine with that - no eye surgery for me! (I can barely tell the difference in the before-and-afters anyway) However,


Coming soon Valentine's Outfit AKA Floundering in Closet for 5 Minutes to get Dressed before Dinner got Cold but I'd Still Need Help Even if I had 50 Minutes. AKA Another mention of Globetrotting in Heels nee Unlikely Housewife.

Meanwhile, just after I wrote this and had just scheduled it to post this evening, I logged onto Twitter to find a message from @hipmom with an eyeliner review. Must be the cabin fever from being stuck inside with kids so much that's put this topic on the mind of so many moms. Check out #beautyparty or #smokeyeyes if you're on twitter.

12 comments:

Mrs.No said...

Oh gawd, I can so relate to no-damn-eyelids problem! Not a drop of Asian either and I've watched numerous how-to videos and STILL...you can sorta tell that I have make-up, but definitely nothing smoky unless I close my eyes... Oh well...

ViolinMama said...

I love the "radiant natural" look you have going, and I LOVED the glam look today - just the right balance of fun and not over done. You looked incredible.

Much love!

P.S. Your pic with the comments on it...HYSTERICAL! I like your smile too lol!

ViolinMama said...

Oh - do you wear foundation? I don't, but wonder if I finally should (my advanced age and all - lol - and you have NO wrinkles. You are amazing!)

Cranky Mommy said...

Yes I wear foundation. I have very uneven skin that is prone to breakouts because parts of it are quite oily. On the plus side that is probably why I don't have many wrinkles. On the minus side, it is hard to keep foundation/blush/eyeshadow from sliding around. Currently I wear Maybelline Mineral Power foundation. I liked it SO much better than Bare Minerals, which left me orange. I'm talking clown orange.

LivingInspired said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Stopping by from SITS. I'm the same way with makeup. Whenever I seriously need it done I have a girlfriend who does awesome makeup, but when left up to my own devices, looks like 1.)I'm a 12 year old girl wearing makeup for the first time or 2.)not wearing any at all. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Stoppin by from SITS...well I have to agree with your hubs on the smile! Your blog is sweet, excited to have found you!

http://thepursuitofmommyness.com/

ViolinMama said...

hmmmm, maybe I should try more foundation, as my eyes and forehead are the most wrinkled. My forehead is like my dad's lol - more genetic wrinkles, but my eyes and under eyes are just bad. Lots of smile lines though :P I really need to start using sunscreen more often. I wonder what "reverse" wrinkles/damage products out there really work?

(to be honest, I'm also bad about such face use with foundation and other creams because of $$$$ but obviously, some things are worth the investment!)

WhisperingWriter said...

I have no idea how to get smokey eyes. I'm horrible with makeup. I usually just slap on foundation and a little blush and hope for the best.

Scraps said...

My MaryKay friend was able to tell me I had "hooded" eyes--seems to be your eye-type, too. Just means we have to spend more time working the brow ridge :)

Stopping by from SITS...

badmommymoments said...

Those shots of your daughter are adorable. I had to close my laptop when my 5 year-old walked by. She'd fall in love with your daughter's lipstick, refusing to believe that she wore it for a performance.

Lindsey Clair said...

I totally am with you with the smokey eye thing. I have attempted it sooo many times at while doing it it looks like so much but when a photo is taken, you can't tell LOL Anyways, your daughter is a doll, makeup is such a love hate thing isn't it?
http://www.peacefulislandmother.yolasite.com

Maya said...

you did a great job with your makeup! i wish i could figure out eyeshadow.


http://marfmom.com