Monday, August 3, 2009

How do dreams work for you?

While I do sometimes dream in color and can occasionally read in my dreams, I am not able to control them. However, I am frequently aware I am dreaming. Last night I was having a terrible dream. If I could remember well enough or if I had the writing talent, I could rival Stephen King (do you know what I'm talking about?) with the movie quality of my dreams as I'm dreaming them. But, I was really trying to distract myself from this dream and start a new one - without any luck. So finally I gave in, ran around until I was killed and as I lay there dying, I thought "Oh well, at least the dream's over."
What's strange is that it all seems to happen on different levels of consciousness. I'm having a dream on one level, aware of the dream on another and "listening" to myself be aware of dreaming on yet another. Man, is all that exhausting, I'm always super tired the day after stuff like that happens. What's it like when you dream?

2 comments:

Elisa said...

You were trying to start a new dream from within a dream? Wow. I can't do that. When I drem it's like I'm Alice in Wonderland, I just get thrown in a parallel reality or something, and unless I wake up it just does it's own thing, out of my control.

ViolinMama said...

I have been able to control them. I've changed the direction of my dream (like if I knew I was about to go off a cliff, I'd do something else). If it is a good dream, and I'm in that right place I can stay in it...and I can tell I'm doing so. It has to have a name!

I've never been tired after a dream, but I have been a funk post dream. I do that a lot. If it was a depressing or scary dream, I'll be low all day. I hate that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can be affected! Or can control them a tad!