Saturday, June 13, 2009

Looking for the light

I let myself get somewhat discouraged with blogging here just because I couldn't get the photos I wanted to accompany my anniversary post. It's the fault of my scanner and not blogger or anything. Yet, sometimes I get so stuck in the perfectionist side of myself that I can't let it go. But there's been quite a few things happening here. Not the least of which was the passing of another anniversary, not a good one. We passed the 1 year mark of Hubs being without an official job. He's had some contract work to tide us over but this last one was not enough income to meet the bills so we've been slowly whittling away at the bank account. And now the job is over. It's hard to look at it and know we can only make it 2 more months - or less if something big comes up. It's also frustrating to know that there were several positions at this company that he was recommended for that had hiring freezes put on so they thought they'd move him to another project, as a contractor, after his non-compete agreement from his last full-time job ran out this month but the kibosh was put on contract workers, too. He was told he was the most qualified person for the contract job he interviewed for last week, but it went to someone cheaper. Gee thank you head-hunters for revealing to the company that he'd like to get more money BEFORE they offered a job. Just because his goal rate at a full-time job is $X doesn't mean he won't work for 75% of $X. (And then please, please don't call the next day about a job that pays less than half of that rate. If you feel the need to reveal to 1 potential employer that his goal is more than the job pays, why-oh-why would you even bother putting him in for a CAD drafting job? "Yes, we have the perfect person for the job, but he'd like to be paid 250% of your offer")
Sorry, job/money worries took over this post. I can't talk to Hubs about it, he gets discouraged, depressed and surly. Besides, it's not like he's not thinking about it, too. And if I tell my parents they just worry too much. And though my friends are aware of it, I don't really talk about it with them because it's a depressing topic and hard to make a segue from!

2 comments:

ViolinMama said...

We're always here....and some of us have been through that layoff desert before....

Praying hard!!!!

ViolinMama said...

oh yes, and it could always happen again...